Saturday, December 6, 2008

Broccoli Rice Casserole

10 ounces broccoli, steamed
2 cups rice (I use brown, recipe calls for white)
1/2 cup (one stick) soy margarine (I usually use 1/4 cupish of nonhydrogenated margarine and a couple tablespoons of canola oil because I am cheap)
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (whole wheat works fine)
3 and 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari (optional)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes (I usually use a bit less)
1/2- 1 cup of sunflower seeds (the yeast doesn't do it for me for protein)

Prepare rice. While rice simmers, melt the oil. Mix in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Add water, salt, soy sauce, garlic and onion powders and turmeric. Cook the sauce until it boils and thickens, then add the yeast and sunflower seeds. Add rice and broccoli. It will get more solid if it's baked for half an hour or so; I bake it if I have the time.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

oh yum. just came looking for this because a friend is trying to go vegan. now that i've found it i'm totally going to make it myself too. very glad to find it - thanks sarah!